Because of the intensity level of the practice, Bikram yoga will not be appropriate for many women. In order to practice Bikram yoga at Bikram Yoga Williamsville, you have to first meet a few criteria. If you meet them, your next step will be to make an appointment with Becky Machado to discuss doing Bikram yoga while pregnant and also to learn the pregnancy modifications.
To protect you and your developing baby, it is imperative that you never do Bikram Yoga without your health care provider knowing about it, or without telling your instructor that you are pregnant.
I would like to encourage all pregnant women to do some sort of yoga during pregnancy. If you do feel you want to continue your practice, there are a few criteria you need to meet:
You Can Practice Bikram Yoga at BYW If:
- You have been practicing Bikram yoga (experience in other disciplines is not sufficient) for at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 6 months.
- If you have been practicing Bikram yoga at other accredited Bikram studios, then BYW requires a letter from that studio’s director verifying your experience.
- You must have approval from your OB or midwife. You can not, under any circumstances, practice at Bikram Yoga Williamsville without meeting these criteria. The studio is not responsible for women who practice yoga pregnant without meeting the aforementioned criteria.
You Cannot Practice Bikram Yoga at BYW If:
- You have never done Bikram yoga before
- You have been practicing less than 6 months and not at least 3 times a week.
- You have a high risk pregnancy.
- Your health care provider has told you not to.